Sunday, February 10, 2008

((((((((((((((((((((((((((
((((Background:
This week dozens of companies made their way to the Utah Valley for BYU’s biannual career fair, each looking for potential employees. I carefully prepared my resume, in anticipation to attend the fair. I researched various companies to gain an idea of which companies I would like to meet with. As any overly vanity obsessed girl would, I spent obscenely too long selecting the appropriate outfit for the event.
Once at the career fair I met walked around and was once again generally uninterested in working for almost all of the companies in attendance at the job fair. I literally was walking by the New York Life Insurance and basically their recruiter ends up trying to get me to interview for an internship in their Human Resource department in New York City. I have always wanted to go to New York City. The entire rest of the day I got so excited just thinking about it. Yet as the week went on my mind began to change. I gave my presentations for the Cougareat. Basically I spent four hours giving highly enlightening meetings on customer service. (This was actually really really fun because I am a geek like that)

This morning walking in the beautiful snow I came the conclusion that I will not be going to New York City. As of right now, what makes me happy is working as the Training Director of the Cougareat. I love my boss, I love my fellow Student Managers and I love my employees. I love our customers. I seriously think that I have such an amazing job. I LOVE HELPING PEOPLE. I am well aware that there are so many places to help people. But I feel that for the time being I can help people where I am, and I can help them while doing a job that I absolutely love.)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
My job may stress me out, drive me bonkers, and pay me peanuts. However, for better or for worse, I love what I do. I am happy where I am. This summer I am staying where I am. I am going to stay at the Cougareat and work on making it an amazing place to work for other people for years and years to come. I know that the place has issues, but every job does. I am the oldest of six kids, I am working towards making this a place where my siblings may be employed in the future or where they may come eat when they come for EFY.
Basically I have learned an important lesson on happiness. Happiness is not making 100,000 dollars a year. It is about doing what you love to do even if it means pinching pennies in order to be able to make ends meet. I also believe that happiness is something that we have to take the time to notice, otherwise we may be experiencing it and never even notice. Life is beautiful. God is in charge. He is so wonderful. He is blesses me every minute of every day.

No comments: